Wednesday 14 December 2011

A short break - but my brain can never stop



Heading up north to the Gold Coast, Queensland for a week in the sun. After a pretty tough year (I do internet banking security at a major Australian Bank), I'm really looking forward to it :)

Prior to packing though, last night I had a really quick look at the Visual Studio 2010 Extensions SDK and woah!, it's pretty complex.

I'm looking at how VS2010 can be extended and what features I'd like to see.

I'm thinking, a "Retro" project type that sets up an initial assembly file, establishes the correct makefile for hooking onto an assembler, code editors (an inbuilt custom 6510/6502 colour coded view), and debugger...

Now I know that some people have already modded VS colour coding to work with .asm files etc. But I want to have a specific filetype that has customised tab stops and precise formatting and knowledge of how a .asm file is put together. Fast and intuitive editing is the key.

Most of the above should be OK I guess, but that last one... A debugger? Mmmmm lots of work, but you see, that's what I'm interested in from a coding point of view... the full "developer experience" thing... Plus I've always wanted to know how debugging works. What better way to find out than to write one of your own. :)

Happy holidays! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment